I decided - who am I kidding? This is Sue we are talking about. I didn't decide anything. I was going to a spa with Sue for two days. Just the two of us. For two days. During the school week. Missing my class. Did I mention I'm not really a "spa" type of gal?
I have to also mention that on the first day of class, I scanned the syllabus to see if by some miracle we wouldn't be having class on September 19th, the day I'd have to miss. No such luck. Not only did we have class, we had our first exam that night. Doh! Now the decision I had to make was, do I take the test the Tuesday before we leave or on Friday when I return? Either one would be fine with my teacher. I decided to get it over with and take it Tuesday so that I could be relaxed and not worry about the test the whole time. That was the plan until the Monday night before the test when I started to panic about cells and atoms and ATP and ADP and what the heck the difference was and plasma membranes and glucose and sodium/potassium pumps and why did I ever think I could do this... I finally did pull myself together, pulled a near all-nighter and took the test on Tuesday. By the way, I'm getting too old for all-nighters!
Sue had pretty specific ideas about what I should pack. Here is an email I rec'd from Sue just a couple days before our trip:
Monday, September 14th
Hey there,
Hey there,
So I wanted to remind you of what you need to bring for Lake Geneva.
I have some activities planned so you will need to bring, shorts, shirts & running shoes.
Also, bring a pair or 2 of capris, nice blouses, sandals.
Swimsuit!
Maybe a jean jacket for when it's cool in the evening.
DO NOT FORGET YOUR LICENSE. We need this to get into the comedy club.
See you tomorrow.
Sue
Good luck on your test.
The days preceding our "spa trip," Sue must have reminded me a hundred times what to pack and what not to forget. I was needing to bring lots of clothes for a day and a half trip to the spa but who was I to question? She was especially worried I would forget my license. I finally mentioned to John, "I am DRIVING to Crown Point. Doesn't Sue think I'm going to have my license with me?" Here's what John said, "I know, maybe at this comedy club, Sue is going to have you get carded as a joke. You know, because you're turning 40?" All he got from me was a blank stare.
John helped me pack my small suitcase by standing in front of my closet and handing me clothes. "I like you in this one." "Here, take this one, just in case." Holding up two dresses, he said, "Which one are you going to take?" I just looked at him and wondered what the heck he was doing or who he was. He NEVER helped me pack, ever.
I said good-bye to the kids and I walked out to the driveway and there was John leaning in the trunk of the van. I said, "What are you doing?" He jumped up, startled, and said, "Ok, the jumper cables are there." I thought to myself, "The jumper cables are always there. They never move. But thanks for telling me they are there. Weirdo."
I drove to Crown Point Tuesday night, dropping off Jacob and David at my in-laws in Valpo. When I got to Sue's she suggested, insisted that I leave my suitcase downstairs instead of taking it all the way up to the attic. I didn't ask questions. I was tired. So I carried in my hands my pajamas, toothbrush, my glasses, my contact case and saline solution. I started feeling a little like I was in an episode of the Twilight Zone.
Wednesday morning came. Sue suggested we go have breakfast to kill some time so we didn't hit Chicago traffic during morning rush hour. So, Sue, Brian in his sling, and I went out for breakfast down the street at the Red Apple Pancake House. Delicious! We got back to the house and sat around for a little while. Sue took the dogs out several times. I finally asked, "When are we going to leave? Do you want me to start putting our luggage in the trunk?" We have been talking about this spa trip now for some time. I packed all the right things. I didn't forget my running shoes, my books or my license. The day is here and we are acting very nonchalant about actually getting there.
It all became very clear when the black, stretch limousine pulled up the driveway. All I could say was, "Oh...my...gosh! Oh...my...gosh! We are taking a limo to the spa?" THEN, I got in the limo and there were Michelle and Tracy!!!
They yelled, "We're all going to the spa!" This was such a huge surprise. I just couldn't believe it.We're on our way to Lake Geneva in this really cool limo drinking mimosas and talking about how the three of them had this planned for quite some time. Wow! About half way there, the driver rolls down his window and asks if we need anything. Tracy requested a restroom stop which the driver said wouldn't be a problem. We pulled up in front of Midway airport. I thought, "We're stopping HERE to go to the bathroom?" We all got out and Tracy handed me this card...
I took one look at the card that had all the Las Vegas stickers, stickers of casino chips and dice on it and said, "NO WAY!" They yelled, "We're going to VEGAS!" I was stunned to say the least. Tracy had the video camera on me and asked how long I thought we would be out there. I was afraid to say but I was thinking two days. She said, "Mary, we're not coming back until Saturday night! You don't have to change diapers for 4 whole days!" At that point, I started to panic a little. They assured me everything had been taken care of. It took me until the next morning to believe it all. We were actually in Vegas and I didn't have to change diapers or cook for 4 days.
We walked up and down the "Strip" seeing all the sights.I love this picture in front of the Bellagio.

Tickets to see Donny and Marie! And not only see them but sit in the front row AND meet them after the show!


Donny and Marie were great! Their show was energetic and I loved hearing their oldies.Getting to meet them was also a blast! I'll never forget it.
Tracy and Michelle
We had a great meal here at this Italian restaurant before we saw The Phantom of the Opera the last full night we were in Vegas.
Sue and Michelle enjoying their cup of JoeI just couldn't sum up this trip in a short post and I had so much more I wanted to elaborate on as I was recalling our time in Vegas. I will never forget the time we had there and I appreciate all that Sue did to make my 40th an unforgettable time. I thank Tracy and Michelle for making this trip even more memorable and fun. "Operation Vegas" was a 100% success. Thanks to my friends who sent along cards with great messages and "fun money." Thanks to Mom and Dad for the Swatch watch I purchased in Vegas. :) Thanks to my in-laws for having Jacob and David for a few days. Thanks to John for helping put the plan into action, making arrangements for kids, taking time off work, helping me pack, and for making sure the jumper cables were in place (actually, John was planting a few extra pairs of my underwear for Sue to put in my suitcase - the same suitcase I couldn't take with me up to the attic). And last but not least, thank you Brian for your willingness to go along with the "Operation Vegas" scheme. I was blown away! Thank you!



4 comments:
Awesome story, Mary! You're a very good writer!
And I hope you did well on your test, too.
This story actually sounds better than it actually was... just kidding!! I had a big smile on my face while reading the whole thing. What a memorable trip. yeah! Yeah! Yeah! I'm really looking forward to Michelle turning 40. I just need to stay friends with her and Sue for, like, 10 more years.... right, Michelle?!?!?
Tracy, you have their cell phone numbers. Just call Sue and Michelle daily, you know, to "stay in touch" and I'm sure you'll be in for Michelle's 40th.
Beth, thanks! It took me a while to write it. I kept re-reading it and changing it. I finally had to just click Publish.
Post a Comment